Citrus Pudding

Citrus Pudding

Tuesday 10 January 2012

Tomato soup - Heinz or mine?

Growing up I used to love Heinz tomato soup and wear the tell tale sign of the post orange glow around my mouth with satisfaction but nowadays I just don't get the same contented feeling following the bowl of soup.  Don't get me wrong, I revert back to my old ways now and then but more often than not I am left feeling rather guilty and dare I say it, a little sick from the glowing fake tomato mixture.

Now I find myself relishing the thought of a fresh tomato soup with crusty bread rolls or even welsh rarebit (cheese on toast - who am I kidding?) on the side. I usually find myself reverting to this meal if I know I am going to be eating late, as it's filling and satisfying yet light enough to go to bed soon after.  It is also great as one of your veggie options for the week and above all, dirt cheap, especially when you have a big family to feed.

My recipe is usually for two with a bit extra for lunch, but double up as necessary....here goes:

1 pack of salad tomatoes (at least 6)
1 onion diced
glug of white wine (optional)
tomato puree (about a dessert spoon)
chicken or veg stock (start with about half a pint/300ml - you can always add a bit more water)
salt and pepper to taste


That is the basic ingredients list, but sometimes if I want a more rustic soup and I have other vegetables to use up in the fridge I dice courgette, carrot, celery and even red pepper and add to the base of the soup.

Method
  •  Fry off the diced onion (and extra veg if you are putting it in) in a little oil
  • Add the tomatoes and let them sizzle for a minute or so with the tomato puree.
  • Season with the salt and pepper.
  • Add the stock. Whatever soup I am making, as a general rule I make sure the veg is at least covered with the liquid and then later if I think it needs a little more I will add as I see fit So if you have more veg put in more liquid and then it is trial and error.
  • Cover and simmer for about 15 mins or until the tomatoes have softened and lost their shape.
  • Take off the heat and liquidize the soup either by hand blender or in a food processor.
  • Once all blitzed, return to the pan and reheat, it is at this point where I urge you to taste and adjust your seasoning if necessary,  Here you can also adjust the thickness of the soup by adding more liquid (milk or water) to suit your preference.
  • Once heated serve with a drizzle of cream or creme fraiche and a sprig of basil (optional)
Variations

Sometimes I am in the mood for a little herbs and spice so add chilli powder or flakes at the onion stage and dried basil (I always add fresh nearer the end but dried basil near the start).
If you like your soup chunky then don't liquidize as much but if you want to get your children to eat more veg then don't stop until the soup is smooth.

Serve with hot crusty bread rolls slathered in butter...home made if you have the time and inclination, but if not, Sainsbury's do part baked baguettes as part of their basic range at incredibly good value (I think it is less than 50p for 2 large baguettes) and trust me when I say you cannot tell the difference between those and the rest of the part baked baguettes they offer. If you have children, why not serve with cheesy dippers  (cheese on toast cut up into soldiers), I am sure they will gobble it up.

I hope you find this as satisfying as I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment